Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone was running a mac pro chamber on their car. i currently have a dr gas x-pipe and love the sound. i've been told not to run an x-pipe with a chambered muffler and thats the reason i was thinking about the pro chamber. i already have the mac cat back kit and headers so i thought this might complete the kit. thanks

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am running MAC equal length shorty headers,
an off road H pipe (Metal Tech)and a MAC
2.5 inch cat back system. The system went
on all at once and the power increase was
impressive to say the least. The noise
level between 2000 and 2100 is a real
problem though. I looked up the cat back
system on MACS web site and it was advertised
as 'not for the faint of heart'. I apparently am faint of heart because if I can't figure out how to quiet it down its comming off the car and going on EBAY. The
extra power is awesome though!!

Bruce from North Branch
'83 Mustang GT
'89 TBird

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I run an Dr Gas X pipe and 3 chamber flows, it sounds awsume and I wouldnt trade it for any other. Who says you shouldnt run the "X" pipe with chambered mufflers, I know a guy who runs 9`s with a Dr Gas "X" pipe and 2 chamber flows with 3" pipe, now thats nasty.

·
Registered
440 Posts
From reading various articles on 'stang
exhaust it looks like those 3 chamber
flowmasters might be just what I'm looking
for. My MAC system resonates so bad between
2000 and 2100 that you have to wear earplugs
to stand it. To bad, I really like the
power they make.

Bruce

·
Registered
35 Posts
the pro chamber IS an x-pipe.it has more merge area...but other than that it's da same.
imagine inside exaust tubing...the gasses flow like a sine wave;not like a water hose(straight through).the x-pipe uses this to create a scavenging effect.
the flowmaster is designed to create scavenging with the "chambers"...creating low pressure areas inside the muffler,drawing exaust through it.
the school of thought is either use an x-pipe with straight through muffs or use an h-pipe with chambered muffs.
i didn't say it would reduce performance to have x/flows...just that the exaust isn't maximized with that combo.the 9 sec. car might even pick up a mph or two going to magnaflows for example

1 - 7 of 7 Posts