Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the exaust shop today to fix a leak, and asked about getting an X-pipe. The guy said that it only helped on fuel injection cars. This doesn't make any sense to me. Is this right?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
yeah, all those fuel injected winston cup cars really benefit from an x pipe!

sounds like he doesn't know too much

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where is a good place to get an x-pipe. I just want the X piece since my exaust ends right after the muffs?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The best and cheapest way is to find a good exhaust shop and have them make it... very simply, they take two 45deg. pieces and cut ovals out of them on the outside radius, then weld the two pices the together.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mitchell Muffler has them on Ebay for $35 + shipping. I bought a 3" it needed a good cleaning inside were the pipes met from welding slag and a slight mismatch of the holes. The die grinder with a carbide burr cleaned it up.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
You can look into a Dr. Gas "X" type, that is what I have on my car, perfect welds and no slag, but most quality muffler shops make their own version probably cheaper than a Dr. Gas unit. I have a bunch of literature from Dr. Gas and they have dyno proven results on increased HP and torque. Also I think all the Winston cup cars use them. In one of the Dr. papers there is a picture of a Winston cup car flipping thru the air showing the underside and you can clearly see the "X" type cross over

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Go to archives on this site. Project 11.99 used an x-pipe from Mac (I think) I bought this same one through the vendor provided in the article. Very well made and VERY affordable. (under $40 bucks)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Dr. Gas quoted me somewhere between 2 and 3 hundred dollars for their X. Why are all the rest so cheap? Is Dr. Gas making you pay for the name???

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Yup. The x-pipe is a simple design. No reason for one to cost that much.

JL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts