Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new exhaust on my mustang and forgot to ask for an x-pipe. I would like to get one now, but am wondering if it is worth it. Will it make my exhaust sound better? Will it give it more power? How much would one installed to an existing system cost? It would be for a 351C 2V W/ around 360 HP.
Thanks for any input.
Matt

·
Registered
237 Posts
is it just straight pipes now or do you have a h-pipe? if there is nothing then i would say go for it. What type of mufflers do you have. If flowmaster, go with an H-pipe, ive heard its not a good idea to combine a x-pipe and chambered mufflers. ofcourse all this came out after i had my x-pipe and flowmasters installed. anyway, if you have an h-pipe already, stick with it, if nothing then go with the x

·
Registered
904 Posts
Dave why is it not a good idea to combine a x-pipe and chambered mufflers. How do yours sound? I cant to do the same thing but with side exaust ports in front of the wheels.
Whats your opinion?
Kenny

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I hear that the X-pipe sounds good and adds some hp to the top end, but steals bottom end torque noticeably. I was debating whether or not to go with H versus the X, and an old guy who's been doing performance exhaust for eons was adamant that X pipes were for guys who are either staying at high revs all the time, or street guys with a torquey enough engine that they were willing to give some up for a cool "NASCAR sound".

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
"X" "pipe with mufflers is not a good idea", this has to be some sort of rumor started by the "H" pipe manufactuors, ask Ron 1 who runs in the 9`s or soon to be, last time I checked he had a 3" "X" with 2 chamber flows. I run a 2.5" "X" with 3 chamber flows, and I love the sound and it makes plenty of power thru out the RPM band, I pulled a 282 hp at the tires with a stock carburated 89 GT 5.0, and I am convinced the X and the flows were major contributors, my numbers are 60hp over stock rateings. I have heard other folks here say the same thing about "X" pipes and chambered mufflers, I cant believe this is true, and would like to know where they heard this, cause I would like to read the dyno sheets myself before I would think othere wise.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Nasty,

I was thinking of a similar exhaust set up as you. I thought about using hooker aero chambers, but I need something that my wife can tolerate... they might be too loud. I still want it to flow/sound good though. What does yours sound like with the 3 chamber flowmasters?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Well if you want to come over after work one of these days I can give you all the exhaust notes you can handel.

It is pretty loud, I gave my friends spouse a ride last week, went up to Paden expressway, turned left went 1 light, then gave it a little juice, well Jim was at my house and could here my car, that has to be at least a mile as the crow flies.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips. Right now, I have 2 1/4, with 3 chamber flowmasters. No H pipe. So I am confused. Will this give me more low end or steal low end. Right now I am looking for more low end.
What do you think this would cost me if I go for it?
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
237 Posts
actually, right now i do have the x pipe with 2 chamber flows. really loud when you hammer it and sounds pretty cool. it was from a couple posts on this message board that i heard its not good to combine the x pipe with chambered mufflers, istead you should use a straight through type muffler like a turbo muffler or something along that line. something about scavenging of the exhaust.

·
Registered
237 Posts
hey nasty stang, how does your car sound while accelerating? i get a weird noise at upper rpms that at first i thought was possibly the driveshaft vibrating. it was recently shortened and balanced, but could still be too long for my application (T5 with 9" ) the yoke sticks out about 5/8" from the back of the tranny but i have the C4 yoke which is longer than the T5 yoke. anyway, the reason i ask you is because i also thought it may be the exhaust. I know the x pipe is supposed to give a raspy sound at higher rpm. its hard to describe the sound im getting but id like to figure it out before i ruin something.

I just realized looking at your description we have a very similar setup. same car same motor, heads, transmission. the only difference is i have a 600 double pumper, rpm air gap, and 3.89 gears. 13.2 is pretty cool, gives me a ballpark estimate of where i should be. nice combo. what you gonna do to get to the 12s?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dave65FB on 4/17/02 7:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Well if the F&%$#@&* rain would quit I could get the track, I am convinced it has a 12 in it without slicks, so I have commited to makeing a 12 second run with my BFG`s before I invest in slicks again. I am going to Woodburn this weekend, I fully expect to run good there, and also see if Ron1 can make it into the 9`s on Sun.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hey Nasty,

I'd like to stop by and see your car, if you are going to be tune'n her up friday night before you run I could swing by.

Damn I hope this rain stops. Worked in the garage last night, looked at the thermometer and it was 39 degrees.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey Nastystang, i know what you mean with the traction deal. Even though my car hasnt been properly tuned (set timing by ear) and the rev limiter chip is 6000rpm so i have to shift at 5800 (should shift a little over 6000) my take off is nothing but tire spin and my 1st to second shift gets me a little sideways with terrible traction. thats with a locker and 8" of tread. cant imagine what it would be like fully tuned and with slicks. by the way, r u running a stock roller cam?

·
Registered
5 Posts
X pipes work best with a straight through muffler such as a dynomax race magnum. H pipe with work great with either and sounds awesome with a chambered muffler like the flowmaster. H-pipe will give you more low end torque than an x, an x might have a slight advantage on top end but this has never been proven. If you want loud, musclecar sound, go with an h pipe. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks CobraSnake.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Dave I run a Comp cams roller

.540 IN @ .220
.566 EX @ .224
110* LS

The sound you were talking about, kinda like a rattle or gurrgeling at higher RPM`s. I think it could be the exhaust hitting in the "X" creating that tone or note, it is hard to tell my car is so damn loud, and the only I time I get those RPM`s is at the track. I think I know what you are talking about.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts