Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the rear seat frame that is used in the xl with the center mount speaker the same as a base galaxie rear seat frame? I know you can buy the rear fiberglass section, i just wanted to know if the frame is diffrent.

Joe

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
On my 64, the lower section (convertible) was the same, but the upper section because of the speaker grill was not. The regular Galaxie had none of the rear seat chrome treatment that the 500XL had.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the convertibles would have a diffrent rear upper, so to add the speaker grill rear seat to my galaxie I will need to find a xl rear back. has anone out there done this conversion?

Joe

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't know what year car you are wanting to change,but on a 63 or 64 you also need to change the rear package shelf to make it line up right.It all should just fit right in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The year I want to change is a 64 i know you can get the rear shelf from a few places. what is the going rate when the rear frames come up for sale?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Not an expert on a 64 but I have installed the 64XL speaker grill seat in my 61 Starliner and I discovered that I needed not only the seat back but also the chrome strips and the metal frames that hold the trim pieces on. I found out that all these parts are exclusive to the speaker grill seat arrangement.
I still need a good package tray and to date have not found one from a repop vendor?

Scott...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I woud need the chrome but I did not think of of frames that would hold the chrome. what is wrong with the repro package trays from crites and othe places? I just think the car would look odd with front bucket seats and a std. rear bench.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you use a 63 XL rear seat it would look good with front buckets, would have a speaker grill but uses less extra parts to make it work.
Scott...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scott thanks for the insite now I know what to look for, I think I can run 63 stuff in a 64 might look a little off to the trained eye but it will be ok with me.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts