Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting a big input toploader in 63, the clutch sets are pretty pricy. Would a clutch set for a 63 f100 292 work? It is an 11 inch disc for a 1 3/8 10 spline. But would the pressure plate bolt up to the 390 flywheel?
This will just be a driver but i got an excellent deal on the toploader when looking for a 4 speed is why it is going in.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny, i thought this is what the forums were for. Help reduce the trial and error method byaquiring knowledge from other members. My mistake, sorry.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Funny, i thought this is what the forums were for. Help reduce the trial and error method byaquiring knowledge from other members. My mistake, sorry.
There is no direct yes and no answer. It all depends on the pressure plate size and type and what bolt pattern the flywheel has. It is going to be a trial and error swap.

The disc is more straight forward.

Please share here what you find. You don't have to buy a performance clutch. A HD rebuild will suffice.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Carl,

Part number wise, an 11" p/plate for a car 292 and 352 are the same (as per my MPC). And, a flywheel for a say, '61-'64 352, is the same as a 390 in a '63. So that answers that.

Now, will that 292 clutch/pp kit have enough "umph" ??... Me personally, no se señor! (I dunno ) a 1963 Ford 292 pickup truck was designed for farmer Jim, or hardware store Hank, went slow, low revs, hauled an occasional load, Lassie in the back,... etc, etc.

If it were me, and after going thru all the time to 'do this kinda right', I wouldn't shortcut there. You wanna know that IF the occasion presented itself, and you wanted to wow your friends with a little "display", well.......

Added to that; if your Gal has 3.00 or 3.25 gears per se ....a clutch then has a rough enough life already --let alone in a heavy car like a Gal.

Just sayin ! ....and I hope that sheds some light :) Norm

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
I can't reply on anything but what Minn mentioned, a 3.50 rear would be a big plus. If you have any hills to climb there won't be any putt putting up it you'll probably have to get a run at it. Or at least that's how my dad's wagon was when he had to settle for a 3.00 when replacing on vacation and that was all that he could find on short notice.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
another thing....is it a close or wide ratio toploader...
if a close... it will be like taking of in 2nd gear with 3.25 in rear...;)

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. It is a close ratio speed and if I lived in KC with the hills at stop lights everywhere it would be a different. Here is Wichita we are flat everywhere and 95% of the driving is here with an occasional juant to a town 50 miles away. Going to put 3:89 gears in. I will try the 292 set and let everybody know how that works, $185 vs $400 and up fits my budget a whole lot better
Carl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts