Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so i just realized I never started a build thread. When i have done these in the past, they have helped me more than others, So here we go.

I started with a 1966 Galaxie 500 XL (I think)
390 with a cracked #1 cyl
Medium case ford o/cruise o/green dot
9 inch with 3.00
A lot of parts
And a little body work (not so good body work) and some fake cobra 20" rims.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First thing i did was take spring lifts out of car, sold the 20's, and put some mustang rims on while i worked on car. Pulled it down to shop. Built some cribs, pulled engine, dropped transmission, stripped out interior, and started the body work.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought a 1973 f250 camper special for the 390 and c6 trans. Took the block to machine shop to be bored and stroked. Took the trans for build and reprogramming, etc.
Started body work and really started digging in and researching the cars and their history.
I knew i wanted to keep the overall look of the car classic, but hot rod. Like someone had bought it in 66 and rodded it in 70's. But I just cant leave stuff alone. I have to make improvements to stuff now rather than go back later, and I like to put my own stamp on things. Body was being worked, color was chosen, and test panel sprayed. I liked it.
Gulfstream Aqua Metallic - added 5% more green to mix and more heavy metallic flake.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Body work done, i took layers back down (way down), sprayed a starting base of epoxy, fixed small stuff, 2-3 coats of 2k high build sanded for days, another coat of 2k and wet sanded, reduced epoxy and used for sealer, base coat on, 3 coats of clear, 800 wet, and 4 more coats of clear.
Worked a little on new thunderbolt hood (will be satin black)

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot, i coated under car and inside with Master series coating (best stuff i have used for sealing a car) Wanted to see it outside, see how much tire i could fit in back, and start interior, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's a pretty color. Can't wait to see it with all the trim. Mine also started white. Planning on spraying it black. Hoping to start on the body work this weekend. Hope you are having as much fun with yours as I am mine.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hello Yard Farmer,

That is a nice colour. It's coming along nicely. On your first picture you stated you think it's an XL. The best way to determine if it was an XL when it left the factory, especially if the door tag is missing or it has the wrong one is look at the front floor braces. The '65 XL, '66 XL/7 Litre use bucket seats with centre console and floor shifter. Now whilst someone could have removed all the XL goodies and put a base galaxie 500 interior in the car, chances are no one monkeyed with the welded in floor braces. If both front seat floor braces span the entire width of the floor then it was set up for buckets if the 2nd front floor brace stops short on either side of the trans tunnel and doesn't connect it was a bench car and just a standard base galaxie 500. Of course if an XL/7 litre there should be a shifter hole in the floor as well.

Keep up the posts :)

Cheers

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I told yall, i cant leave stuff alone so...
I pulled the dash, and replacing with universal alum from jegs. Trying to drop weight where i can.
Made panel for firewall to basically act as cover for holes in wall from heater parts and to mount fuse panel and wires, etc. Used some sound mat and ez cool on firewall and floor.
Test fitting different stuff as shifter mounts/switch panels, etc. Just to get an idea of what i want.

I also started some of the rear interior, package tray was shot so used black carpet. Dyed seats and panels with duplicolor from deep blue to black. Letting carpet lay out for a while before installing.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If thats the case, then it must be a base model. It has a bench seat. I was thinking it might have something to do with all the trim and stuff down the side. I was going to fill the trim holes, but didnt want to weld all those little holes up. I think i came up with a 63b model? from door tag, i cant remember off hand. I have not taken time to decode vin if that is possible.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dressed up engine bay a bit.
Installed Leeds brakes dual master with prop valve. Ordered all new stainless lines, fuel and brakes from Inline tube. Gonna rebuild back drums, gonna see what front end looks like with weight back on, if i want to drop front end, i will order drop spindles and go to disc up front. i got 275/60/15 to fit with ease under back. So i ordered rims (Merry Christmas to me😀), and adjustable panhard bar to center axle. 15x8 4.5bs for back, 15x4.5 up front. Got a deep trans pan from b&m.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had an extra set of side trim that the chrome wasnt real good, so i figured if the hood was gonna be black, it might need a little black accent on the outside to tie it in better.

What do yall think?
It was kinda weird/different at first, but its starting to grow on me.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks desert and gelgoog.

I have some XL emblems in a stash of parts but must not have came with this car.

I was gonna paint black but got voted down by wife and kid😀
If you plan on black paint, better make sure body work is perfect, black will show every little flaw.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got back interior in, working on transmission and driveshaft. I didnt want to invest too much for upholstry, knowing that might be a chance of tubbing, etc in future. My seats and panels were in good enough shape for color change though. Cleaned them good, wiped down with prepsol and used Duplicolor👍

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put the skinnies on today 15x4.5
1.75 backspacing. 165/80/15
See what it looks like when engines back in,
get some Fatman 2" drop spindles if needed.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the Hotchkis adjustable panhard bar on, I now have centered rear axle👍
Working on dash and interior. I need to decide on bucket seats or go back with bench for now. I was thinking about jegs or summit brand bucket seats, but i sure do like the nostalgic look/feel of a big ole broke in bench seat😀
When it starts to look fast, just sitting in shop, thats a good feeling.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thought id give a shout out for Stock interiors for carpet. Got the 80/20 loop and the mass backing. Decent price, great quality, let it sit in car for a few days, warmed it up with heat gun and worked it a bit. Did a little trimming, but fitment was very good. Wouldnt think twice about recommending them.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got shifter mounted and hooked to trans, decided to keep the bench for now so i got front seat in, got gas tank in, got the back wheels and tires on. Decided to go with 275/60/15 Nitto 555R G2. Didnt want to drop money on new chrome so i Dropped bumpers off to get blasted and powdercoated silver, thought about black, but then saw that the original lightweight cars had silver so...

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well... Somewhere between working/running business, teaching some school, walking a dog, gettin ready for holidays, and throwing stuff at the evening news on t.v.

I trimmed my brand new fancy pants carpet kit too short at the door sill..😖

But, I know all too well when your building/restoring a car, some mistakes will be made, I call it " paying for an education "

After cussin myself (i did ask forgiveness😀)
I did what makes me happiest and that is figure out a way to fix my mistakes, in a creative way, without ordering new carpet.
If it was a show car or restore to original it would be different.

So the least i can hope for is someone else learn from my mistakes or dare to take a chance to be creative.

I still got a little shaping to do, but...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts