Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to install a NOS Safety Neutral Switch, Floor mount today. I was told this is the reason why my backup lights don't work? Any tips or advice??!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would search the forum for appropriate wiring diagrams, helped me figure out mine. If original wiring is intact. Backup lights do go thru on 65, not sure on 64.

·
Registered
218 Posts
About to install a NOS Safety Neutral Switch, Floor mount today. I was told this is the reason why my backup lights don't work? Any tips or advice??!
Pretty simple really, the wire that normally goes from the ignition switch to starter solenoid goes to the neutral safety switch first then to the starter solenoid. Makes a connection only in park and neutral, open circuit in any other position. The switch on the floor (and column actually) can be moved a bit to adjust where your floor shifter is in neutral and park. Best best is to set the trans in neutral and check for continuity, then in park. I use the continuity feature of my cheap multimeter for this. Adjust the position of the switch as needed to get continuity only in park and neutral.

Reverse lights are the same, wire goes in to switch from power, wire goes out to rear lights. Switch only makes contact when lever is on reverse. Adjust so all three things work before tightening down the switch and your good.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
After you get it wired up, put the car in reverse and slide the switch around until the backup lights come on. That is the best way to line it up because there is only one switch position that will pass that test.

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
Have you tried holding up on the gear shift lever when it's in reverse in case it just needs adjusting because of a sloppy/sagging shift lever? Mine is sloppy so if i want the backup lights on i have to hold up on the shift lever a little bit then they come on. Don't know how far the NSS can be adjusted though, never looked at mine. If yours is floor shift the adjustment distance may be different anyway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info guys (and girl)! I actually did not install it yet, found and excuse to go cruising 50 miles for a do it yourself car wash instead! Will attempt this weekend though, if I can get past removing the stinkin shift knob!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
that can be why backup lights don't work. You might continue wiggling shifter and barely moving and so forth with car running and with it backed up to a garage door at night to see if they'll blink on when you hit a certain "just right" spot. Or, have a helper watching them.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
As stated, it's a pretty simple system. I hate throwing parts and work at a problem hoping it does the trick. I would test either the switch or the wiring to establish the problem as one or the other. So, I would either:

• Disconnect the battery, chock the tires, and test for switch continuity between the power wire and the reverse light wire anywhere in the gear selector range - no continuity anywhere in the range means a bad switch. Continuity in the wrong gear or between gears means only switch and/or linkage adjustment should be necessary.
or

• Battery connected, trans in PARK, KOEO (Key On Engine Off), test for +12v at the switch power terminal. If there, jump the power and REV wire terminals. If REV lights work, it's back to the switch. If lights do not work, it's a wiring or bulb issue.
HTH
David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts