Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Holley 650 for my 390. Got home for the unboxing.

Some of the vacuum ports were rubber capped off, probably standard for a new carb. What didnt look right was the white cotton peeking out of the fuel inlet port.

So I grabbed a small allen tool to pick it out and holy chit a furry black living spider came running out across my leg! I poked through his house! How this larger than the inlet port hole spider fit in there I dont know but it made me spit out my Pepsi and jump 3 feet in the air! Lucky I was sitting in a lawn chair on the grass cause when I jumped the carb fell on the ground.

If I didnt check into that uncovered inlet port that brown recluse, or black widow or wolf spider...whatever the hell it was would have gotten sucked into my jets when I installed it and fired it up for the first time. I bet it woulda ran rough too.

So If your having trouble with that new carb you bought it may not be the regular reasons.

And thats a true story....believe it or not.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You would actually be surprised at what kind of crap that can be in 'new' carbs. I always disassemble a new carb and check the float settings and jets, as well as blow through all the passages before putting it on. I almost always find something loose and/or some loose flashing or dirt inside. In your case, unwanted critters. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Now THAT was funny. Spit my coffee out just reading this!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts