Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
1964 Galaxie 500XL Q code
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I bought a galaxie that has been sitting with no engine since 72'. I have found most of the parts needed in the 10 Rubbermaid containers full of parts supplied with the car 馃檮 but for the life of me can't find the z bar bracket that attached to the bell housing. Does anyone have a pic of one, or can recommend where to find one. For reference, this is a 427 car and I know there was a difference in z bars. Any help is much appreciated!

Registered
A couple of pieces ot tech data you will find helpful while working on your Galaxie are the 1964 factory Workshop Manual and the 1960 - 64 Ford Master Car Parts and Accessories Catalog, both of which are sold by most of the Galaxie parts purveyors. The paper version of the Master Parts Catalog is a bit pricey, but you can get a CD-ROM version at reasonable cost although it's harder to use that way for some people. Hopefully, I will attach diagrams from both the workshop manual and the parts catalog. Note that the parts catalog IPB has bracketry for all of the available engines covered (223, 260, 289, 352, 390, 406, 427) so look for yours. My memory isn't the greatest these days, but I'm pretty sure the "Z" bar engine side mount bracket mounts to the engine block and not the bellhousing. I tried looking on my car but couldn't see it properly and I was too lazy to put the car up in the air and crawl under it. Sorry! What part of Arizona do you live in? Hope this helps. Good luck!
Scan 4.jpeg
Scan 5.jpeg
Scan 5.jpeg

Registered
+1 Also, both of these can be downloaded in pdf format for free from the dropbox manuals sticky thread at the top of this forum. I just checked and both links work.

Pat

Registered
Found a Z-bar mounting bracket engine side ( C3AZ-7A572A) at Buds Classic Cars in Connecticut. Call him at 860-738- BUDS. He specializes in 63-64 Galaxies. Ask for a catalog too. Also has the other side too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much guys! It is amazing to have resources like you all!

I pulled the body off the frame last night and intend to strip all suspension today. Next week I'll get the frame blasted and painted. I'm also going to paint the underside of the body so it not so filthy and then this thing is going back together.

Here are a couple of pics.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
A couple of pieces ot tech data you will find helpful while working on your Galaxie are the 1964 factory Workshop Manual and the 1960 - 64 Ford Master Car Parts and Accessories Catalog, both of which are sold by most of the Galaxie parts purveyors. The paper version of the Master Parts Catalog is a bit pricey, but you can get a CD-ROM version at reasonable cost although it's harder to use that way for some people. Hopefully, I will attach diagrams from both the workshop manual and the parts catalog. Note that the parts catalog IPB has bracketry for all of the available engines covered (223, 260, 289, 352, 390, 406, 427) so look for yours. My memory isn't the greatest these days, but I'm pretty sure the "Z" bar engine side mount bracket mounts to the engine block and not the bellhousing. I tried looking on my car but couldn't see it properly and I was too lazy to put the car up in the air and crawl under it. Sorry! What part of Arizona do you live in? Hope this helps. Good luck! View attachment 164863 View attachment 164864 View attachment 164864
Thanks for all this info. I don't see 427 listed as an engine option in the diagram, but can I assume its the same as the 390/406 Version? I ask because I was told there were some big differences between the 390 and 427 cars due to the manifold/ headers used. I also can't find the clutch push rod/release rod for the life of me. 馃檮The struggle is real!
You are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks!

Registered
For many years, a guy in Florida named Greg Donahue was the go-to guy for '63 and '64 Galaxies and all the hard to find parts and information. Greg retired in March, 2016, and sold his inventory to Bud in Connecticut, who is the person Budman referenced in his post above. As Budman said, the part number for the engine side "Z" bar mount bracket for the 427 engine (and the 406) is C3AZ-7A572-A. If you need the part number for the frame side mount bracket as well it's C3AZ-7507-D. Call Bud and see what he can do for you. From the factory, the 427s came with cast iron tubular exhaust manifolds. Early cars had short ones, later cars had longer ones. I'm pretty sure that Ford expected those people who were going to engage in serious racing would dump the factory exhaust mainfolds and replace them with specialty long tube headers for the intended task. So if you are planning to use some special headers for your stroker engine, you may or may not have some fabrication work to do. Now, when you say you can't find the clutch release rod, do you mean you can't find it in the boxes of parts you received with the car, or do you mean you can't spot it on the diagrams I posted? If you need to buy a new one it is officially called "Rod, Equalizer Bar To Clutch Release Lever", P/N C3AZ-7521-D, it's 6 鈪 inches long and is the same as the one on the 406. It attaches to the bottom arm of the "Z" bar and the pointy end fits into a dimple on the clutch release lever. Bud should have it and I think I've seen it in a Mac's catalog. Those are Ford part numbers from back in the day and may have been superceded, but it will give you a place to start from. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

I was able to speak with Bud in CT. Turns out we are both using the same engine builder. Carlquist Competition in Oakville CT.
Bud was a wealth of knowledge!
I was able to spot the linkage rod in your diagrams I just could find it in my buckets of parts. Sure enough, Bud had one and he is bailing me out.

I'm leaning towards the Maddog headers on this project, I have made headers from scratch in the past, but considering the time investment, I'm going to pass this time, and go with the $500 option from Maddog.

I will be using a TFS single plane intake on this car with a single four-barrel. Does anyone have a reference to what will fit under the factory NON tear-drop hood? Is there a link you might know of that discusses this?

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts