Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you remove the swivel fitting on the z bar on a 63 galaxie and replace the bushing or build the metal back up, can't tell what is in the hole without taking it apart. It is the swivel piece where the adjustable clutch rod coming out of the dash hooks onto the z bar.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The swivel is swagged to the equalizer bar-

You will have to replace or modify/fabricate.

PEROGIE may have good used or possibly repro.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Yep, what K said. A nice used one is available on e-bay for under $50 bucks if you pay attention and act fast. Keep an eye on shipping charges.

You could Mod it like K mentioned also. That will take some grinding and some welding because there's not likely enough of the original rivet left to swag.

You could post a pic of the condition of yours so we could garner some better opinions on how to effect a repair...

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looked on ebay and didn't see one for under 99 and that was the starting bid.
Ph well mine only has a little play and it would not be that hard to just git rid of the swivel and fabricate a new swivel that would bolt ln with a replaceable bushing

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about drilling out the pivot block and bolting a heim joint through the hole and adapt the threaded end of the heim joint to the adjustment rod.
Mike
or use the open end of the heim joint for the adjustment rod and just bolt it to the z bar, don't know if there would be enough movement in the heim joint when pushing the clutch down or not
Carl

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you want to still try and save your z-bar, read on:

Original 63-64 z-bars had 2 rubber bushings and a metal sleeve going thru that swivel, then threaded clutch rod went thru them -this was done to aid in NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) in the clutch pedal. The rubber parts disintegrated rather quickly, then the swivel "tips over" and becomes cocked due to all the open space. Eventually the swagged end blows out.

If yours is still hanging on pretty well, here is what I did to fix mine in similar condition:
Go to your local well stocked hardware store, or places like Fastenal -I had one nearby (Fastenal ) or online; McMaster-Carr ( McMaster-Carr) and buy a bronze 'hat bushing' with similar enough inside and outside diameters to take up all that extra space the bushings and sleeve once did. Then remove your outboard clutch rod adjusting nut, remove the old remnants of sleeve and bushings, slide that bushing up in there and re-nut. If you wanna go further with it, you can buy 2 bushings , one for the upper side of the rod as well, but requires more surgery. This is a sweet fix, for virtually pocket change and makes it all snuggly-wuggly when you're done.

See attached pic, prolly have more on other comp, holler if needed.

Norm

How do you remove the swivel fitting on the z bar on a 63 galaxie and replace the bushing or build the metal back up, can't tell what is in the hole without taking it apart. It is the swivel piece where the adjustable clutch rod coming out of the dash hooks onto the z bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You know, this information should be stored in some type of TECH SECTION here.

Too bad the powers that be do not give a crap.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where i have a little play Norm is where the swivel is attached to the z-bar. Where you would have to grind it off where it is swagged to the z-bar to replace the plastic bushing or whatever is in there. Then the is not enough sticking thru to swag it back together
Carl

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Where i have a little play Norm is where the swivel is attached to the z-bar. Where you would have to grind it off where it is swagged to the z-bar to replace the plastic bushing or whatever is in there. Then the is not enough sticking thru to swag it back together

Carl
What I Would Do... :frown:

I would make (or have made) a swivel with shank that will ride in the equalizer bar either in a bronze bushing or roller bearing asm. The shank would be held in the bar (within replaceable bushing) with an e-clip for easier future servicing.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yep Carl, I 'get' where your play is; My post would repair a loose swivel -BUT, not one that is barely still swagged on. If yours is that far gone, I recommend the clever/smart swivel repairs that have been mentioned already.

On my car, once I aligned and restored the angle that the swivel was intended to be at, all was fine. The little bit of bending that occurred to the back side (the rivet side) of the swivel didn't harm it. The linkage parts all work in unison to keep the swivel's rivet end from further wear -that is, IF everything is in decent shape, lol.

Carl

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know I am late to the party, but would this work?
SWIVEL IDLER LEVER ADJUSTMENT CORRECT SQUARE HEAD | 7A528-1B | NPD

I found it in National Parts Depot. If the hole is the same size it should do what you need it to. You could even drill it a little larger if need be.
Does anyone know what the size for 63 to 73 mustang clutch rod from clutch pedal to z-bar is. Would it be a 7/16 like the galaxie or a 3/8.
I called npd and he said the swivel for the mustangs has a 3/8 hole. I suppose there is enough meat left to drill it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts